9th Grade English I Forum: Jester
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English I End of Year Survey

Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty English I End of Year Survey

Post  Admin Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 am

You may choose to respond anonymously or not.

Choose at least 5 to respond to from category 1 (The Class).
Answer all of the questions for categories 2 (The Teacher) and 3 (The Student).

Copy and paste the questions below into your response.
Don't forget to save it regularly or create a separate Googledoc, etc.

The Class
*Describe, in as much detail as is possible, one memory that you have from this class over the course of the year.

* Which assignment (reading, writing, discussion, etc.) did you learn the most from? Explain:

* Which writing assignments were the most effective and helpful to you? Explain:

* Which writing assignments were the least effective and helpful to you? Explain:

*Did you find the discussions in class to be worthwhile, meaningful and important? Explain:

* Which readings (novels, essays, short stories, poems, etc.) did you enjoy the most and learn the most from? Do you recommend that I continue to use this (these) reading(s)?

* Which readings were the least helpful, enjoyable, or did you learn the least from? Explain:

* Do you find this to be class difficult, easy, or just right? Comment:

* Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall? Explain:

The Teacher
* Give me a grade for teaching. Explain:

*Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable?

* Is there anything about Mr. Jester that is particularly aggravating to you?

The Student
* Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course? Explain:

*Is there anything else that you feel the need to say here?

Admin
Admin

https://woodsenglish1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty End of Year Survey

Post  Kathy N. Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

Which readings were the least helpful, enjoyable, or did you learn the least from?
For me, the least helpful, enjoyable, and the book that taught me the least would be A Separate Peace. The book was so dry, lengthy, and dull to the point where I didn't even finish the book. Our class discussions on this book, I feel, were very limited and not helpful. This might have been because many people didn't read it, but this was the book I least enjoyed.

Do you find this to be class difficult, easy, or just right?
At first I thought this class was just right, up until middle of March. Being in honors and then the regular class load getting heavier, I started to breakdown. That was probably the most stressful time of my whole 9th grade year. Although I do think it helped me handle stress better, it began to overload me.

Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall?
Overall, I felt the work was graded fairly. It was harder than what I had been used to from middle school, and I had to get acclimated to it, but it ended up being helpful and fair.

Give me a grade for teaching.
I would give you a B+ for your teaching this year. I felt like our group discussions were the best part of the class and gave us as peers another point of view to compare our own to. I do, however, feel like sometimes the “normal English class” with parts of speech and vocab and other “normal” English things, were lost. That is now something we are going to have to get used to because Ms. Berg does more of that.

Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course?
For my overall grade this year based on effort and performance, I would give myself a solid A. I am not the perfect writer and absolutely have room for improvement, so that’s why I feel an A+ is a little much. Between my effort and trying my hardest to perform well, I feel an A expresses my grade for the year.

Kathy N.

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty Re: English I End of Year Survey

Post  mleighto Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

The class:

Which assignment did you learn the most from?
I learned the most from the documentary assignment, I learned a lot about myself and how I think. I think it was a great learning experience, you should definitely do it again next year.
Do you find this class, easy, difficult or just right?
I think it was difficult in the beginning to create just what you (Mr. Jester) wanted and I think that was due to the directions that were sometimes confusing and not clear. This last trimester has been amazing, very meaningful and felt just right.
Was work graded fairly?
Most of the time work was graded fairly, but at some points if you had given more explanations on why you gave the grade you did it would have been better.
What reading was the least helpful?
The short stories weren’t very helpful and seemed like busy work. We also didn’t really discuss them so it was slightly annoying to have done all that work for, what felt like, nothing.
Did you find the discussions in class to be meaningful?
Some of the discussions seemed rushed and not meaningful at all, and others were very meaningful and very interesting. In the future I would try to make more time for the discussions. I would also try to make the environment more discussion friendly.
The Teacher:
Give the teacher a grade:
I would give you an A-, I think the first trimester was pretty good and the books were enjoyable enough. However, the second trimester seemed rushed and full or busy work. The third trimester was easily the best and my favorite.
Is there anything about Mr.Jester that you find particularly agreeable?
I really like how you like to know the students on a personal level. Your socks are cool too.
Is there anything you find particularly aggravating?
Your boycotting of Powerschool can be irritating.
The Student:
Effort and performance: I’d give myself an A, I think I put a lot of effort into this class and I would say my performance was pretty good.

mleighto

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty Survey 9th grade

Post  Kenzie.A Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am

* Which assignment (reading, writing, discussion, etc.) did you learn the most from? Explain:

I enjoyed the in depth discussions we had as a whole class the most. I feel like I learned the most from this because I got to hear other peoples opinions and what they took from the parts in the book we had just read. It helped me to develope my opinion and get a better description in the book if I didn’t understand it. I didn’t enjoy writing and reading as much because they just don’t interest me and I never had anything to write about that helped me learn. I also learn better from my classmates rather than myself.

*Which writing assignments were the least effective and helpful to you? Explain:

I rarely learned from the writing assignments were we just wrote on our own about the book and what we thought about it because it didn’t help me learn or get other peoples views. I liked when we wrote about one topic and then stopped to discuss and talk about what we wrote and the ideas we have towards what we were talking about. Overall writing isn’t my favorite thing to do so I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did reading or writing.

* Which readings (novels, essays, short stories, poems, etc.) did you enjoy the most and learn the most from? Do you recommend that I continue to use this (these) reading(s)?

I enjoyed most of the short stories we read because they were short and it was easier for me to get into them. I also enjoyed the first two or three gauntlets we wrote because they were something new that I had never done before and we didn’t exactly have a process we had to follow, we could just write. The books I enjoyed were mostly PTI and Into The Wild.

I think this class is pretty easy in most areas but in others it is just right. I never really struggled in this class due to me paying attention and actually focusing. Englsh interests me more than other classes so I tend to do better.

* Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall? Explain

Work was graded mostly fairly and accurate. Sometimes I did feel that I might have deserved more than I got because of the effort I put in, btu that you couldn’t see. Overall the grading worked well and was efficient.

The grade I give you for teaching is a 96 because overall you are a wonderful teacher and give great information to help me learn. In some areas you could work on such as being serious and choosing better books. We got a lot of busy work to do over the trimesters that weren’t helpful at all. The third trimester was good.

*Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable?

I like your humor the most and how you have close relationships with most of the students in your class. I also like your teaching style to an extent, it seems to be different than most other teachers.

Sometimes feel like he goes off on rampages and we don’t get as much done but overall he is a wonderful teacher and I enjoy having him.

* Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course? Explain:

I would give myself a 93 because I believe I have tried very hard to keep my grade up and do the best I possibly can. Sometimes I slacked off because of the pressure I was under and the work given in other classes.

I hate you.. haha just kidding. Have a great summer!!!!!!!!!

Kenzie.A

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty Edited End of Year Survey: FINAL

Post  Kathy N. Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Which readings were the least helpful, enjoyable, or did you learn the least from?
For me, the least helpful, enjoyable, and the book that taught me the least would be A Separate Peace. The book was so dry, lengthy, and dull to the point where I didn’t even finish the book. Our class discussions on this book, I feel, were very limited and not helpful. This might have been because many people didn’t read it, but this was the book I least enjoyed.

Which writing assignments were the most effective and helpful to you?
For me, although I think it was hard to judge and grade them very well, or that’s how us as students felt, I think the most effective writing assignments were the Gauntlets. It was a hassle, and got annoying after awhile, but I feel like I enjoyed being able to write without real guidelines to TREE essays or whatever. I also enjoyed being able to put myself into the story. I felt like some of the things I mentioned in my essays were things I just needed to tell some people and have it written on paper.

Do you find this to be class difficult, easy, or just right?
At first I thought this class was just right, up until middle of March. Being in honors and then the regular class load getting heavier, I started to breakdown. That was probably the most stressful time of my whole 9th grade year. Although I do think it helped me handle stress better, it began to overload me.

Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall?
Overall, I felt the work was graded fairly. It was harder than what I had been used to from middle school, and I had to get acclimated to it, but it ended up being helpful and fair.

Did you find the discussions in class to be worthwhile, meaningful and important?
Absolutely. Class discussions to me are the best part of this English class. I get to hear other people’s opinions and I have the opportunity to debate about the opinions. Definitely, class discussions are the best part and very helpful.

Give me a grade for teaching.
I would give you a B+ for your teaching this year. I felt like our group discussions were the best part of the class and gave us as peers another point of view to compare our own to. I do, however, feel like sometimes the “normal english class” with parts of speech and vocab and other “normal” english things, were lost. That is now something we are going to have to get used to because Ms. Berg does more of that.

Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable?
The way Mr. Jester speaks with a subtle tone and intense emotion definitely has stayed with me throughout this year as something I enjoy. Even if something he is saying isn’t important, if he says it in that “emotional” voice, it makes me want to listen.

Is there anything about Mr. Jester that is particularly aggravating to you?
The thing that I can’t stand is when he doesn’t give us our grades back. I understand the meaning behind it, but it keeps me on the edge of my seat waiting, and waiting, and waiting to find out what I got on assignments. It’s truly painful when he does it RIGHT NOW and I have no clue what my trimester grade is going to look like.

Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course?
For my overall grade this year based on effort and performance, I would give myself a solid A, like a 96%. I am not the perfect writer and absolutely have room for improvement, so that’s why I feel an A+ is a little much. Between my effort and trying my hardest to perform well, I feel an A expresses my grade for the year.

Is there anything else that you feel the need to say here?
I feel like I do need to say something else Smile the one book I don’t think you should pain the 9th graders next year to read is A Separate Peace. It might have good meaning behind it, but if you can’t even read it because it’s so boring.....don’t teach it. That would be my recommendation.
I enjoyed this class very much this year, the freedom and amount of choice we were given was a nice change and allowed all of us, and specifically me, to venture off into different places because all the students didn’t have to be on the same page. We all didn’t have to be working at the same pace and it was nice to be able to manage my time the way I felt I should. Thanks Mr. Jester for a wonderful year!

Kathy N.

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty End of Year for Jack B.

Post  Some guy Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 pm

1. The Moment I remember the most was the ending of the gauntlet. The pure emotion and seeing all of my class mates vent about it was a interesting experience that i probably won't forget.
2. The Assignment I learned the most from would actually be our most recent one, the final.
3. All of them
4. Because i always seemed to lag behind i never experienced most of the discussions. The ones i was able to be in seemed a bit less useful simply because there were so many people, which kind of made it feel a bit insignificant compared to a smaller amount.
5. Kite Runner is the Biggest one. Others are Alright except for *see 6*
6. Betsy Brown, A Separate Piece, Into the Wild. They were the books that I tried my hardest to read but never finished because of the stated reasons.
7. Just Right, work load could be a little dumbed down, papers a little less frequent. Alone in English yes the work load is fine, but working that along with the Tests or other Papers from other classes is just too much.
8. Grading was a little slow. I remember i went through half of this trimester with only one thing graded. Other than that, i suppose fair grading could come into play. Some people aren't creative or having anything exciting going on for them, so it might be hard for them to meet the A level of a paper.
9. Teaching grade? Man you get a 9 maybe even a 10 out of 10
10. Everything He is an Acceptable teacher, person, and generally a great person.
11. *cough* slow grading *cough* But that's small.
12. Me? Id give myself a D- all the way. I sickened myself looking back at it. I was the laziest person i have ever even witnessed. I simply did not do my work and constantly procrastinated.
13. I think I'd say that If i ever had the option to have Mr. Jester again as a teacher, i wouldn't have to think twice. Yes! The most likely the best English Teacher I've ever had. Also a Great person too! Very Happy

Some guy

Back to top Go down

Post  E.M.S Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:56 pm

*Describe, in as much detail as is possible, one memory that you have from this class over the course of the year. I remember when I wrote my first essay in/for Woods Charter. I volunteered to sit in front of the class and read my essay aloud. I remember this because of the fear I gradually overcame during my reading. I think that every person should have to read in front of the class because (at least for me,) it helps get rid of the fear or just the "not want to" attitude and replaces a drive in them to raise their hand and to talk.
* Which writing assignments were the most effective and helpful to you? Explain: I think the very first writing assignment and also the big ones about the books that we've read.
* Which writing assignments were the least effective and helpful to you? Explain: I think that the gauntlet was just a way to take up time and add more stress on to what we already have. I will admit that the first two, maybe, three, were effective in helping me learn the fundamentals of writing. I think that doing all eight would have been useless and too stressful.
*Did you find the discussions in class to be worthwhile, meaningful and important? Explain: I most certainly did. Because if I didn't understand something in the book, it would most likely be talked about in class and I would then be able to understand because it was easier to follow. I also think it lets the teacher know what you think of the protagonist and gives everyone a possible new view on that character. I also think that we should have talked more about a Separate Peace because it just seemed like we didn't talk about that one in class at all.
* Which readings were the least helpful, enjoyable, or did you learn the least from? Explain: I think that out of everything that we read, The American Short Stories were the least helpful because I did not learn anything from them and they were SO difficult to comprehend. I don't think it taught a valuable lesson or anything like that either.
* Do you find this to be class difficult, easy, or just right? Comment: It seems to be a little difficult at times because of what the other classes have going on. But it worked out just fine so I would say easy but borderline difficult.
* Give me a grade for teaching. Explain: I would have to give you an A+ and no, I'm not brown nosing or trying to be a teachers pet, but because you were there for me when I really, really needed it most. I never knew teachers could be so cool but you were and I'm thankful that I can confide in someone that I know 100% without a doubt won't even mention what we talk about and I don't think Northwood teachers would have provided that confidentiality.
*Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable? I like that he is super relaxed and can make any one relaxed as well. He also has a good sense of humor which is good. Laughing
* Is there anything about Mr. Jester that is particularly aggravating to you? Not at all. I find that with him NOT grading power-school, it keeps my crazy parents at bay for a little while so I applaud him not giving us grades.
* Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course? Explain: I would have to give myself a B- because even though I feel I worked harder than ever before, I did not get as much as I would have wanted to get done. pale

E.M.S

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty English Survey

Post  Renée B. Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

The Class

* Which assignment (reading, writing, discussion, etc.) did you learn the most from? Explain: The Ted Talk. I haven’t written many speeches before and writing that one I learned a lot about them. Watching the Ted Talks was really helpful for me because I got to see the standards, and I tried to mimic the ones that I watched. Two particularly interesting ones was one about grit and one about a musician who give away her music and asks for donations and made millions. They way they both made their way to their topic intrigued me. Both did not start with the heavy stuff, they introduced it. Thats what I tried to do. Also the use of visuals by the second woman I thought really supplemented the talk. Learning to use my resources was another thing I gained from this project. Then actually having to give my talk was helpful. Standing before people and then trying to talk the way I was feeling was a good experience. Also I really enjoyed the project, despite the stress associated with it. I hope you keep it an honors thing!

* Which writing assignments were the most effective and helpful to you? Explain:
The Gauntlet: I got a lot out of it. I think that learning to write about myself and not have to be thinking about the deep dark meanings of the book was helpful.It was less of a research paper like other English papers are. I had to explain how I connected to the book. The length made it a much less exhausting project.

*Did you find the discussions in class to be worthwhile, meaningful and important? Explain:
I did. Hearing everyones opinion was good, it really added to my views. I LOVED THE FISHBOWL ONE! I wish we had done that more, or the one with the card in a box.

* Which readings were the least helpful, enjoyable, or did you learn the least from? Explain:
learn the most from? Do you recommend that I continue to use this (these) reading(s)?
Trimester two readings could have been more interesting (not including Raisin in the Sun) I did not enjoy them. I loved Catcher in the Rye, but none of the others really stuck out to me except my 3rd trimester honors book. I wish we could have read more classics, PTI was a bit lacking I felt, I know the style of writing was supposed to be that way, but I felt it took away from a good story. While I really didn’t haaaattee any, or even dislike most of the books, I find it difficult to remember what we read. Not including Catcher or Raisin.

* Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall? Explain:
I think so. I was mostly happy with my grades, but feedback could be confusing sometimes I wasn’t sure what you thought my work needed. I like OFI’s but just thought that sometimes I wasn’t sure what you wanted me to do because the corrections were just two words.

The Teacher

I think maybe a B. I think that you taught really well throughout the year, I was always interested in class. The discussions were fun and I learned a lot through the projects. I felt that you were really a friend to all of the students and made class enjoyable by putting the restraints on us as we needed, but still making class one that we could relax in. I think that your teaching style is fun and easy, but really made me think about the writing we were reading and how that reflects humans.

*Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable? He could control the class, make it interesting and he took us outside. Also his room never smelled bad.

Update powerschool!

The Student
I think that the grade I received reflects how I did.I got a high A and I am happy with that. I worked hard and think I did well. I felt that the grading was fair so accurately reflected how I performed and I think he took into account how I worked.
No, except I enjoyed the class and the writing. Especially trimester 3, that was by far the best part of the year!
Admin
Admin

Renée B.

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty final servey

Post  raymonds Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:26 pm

considering what happened throughout the year, I would give myself an A-, because I have a lot of missing grades for this trimester that you (Mr. Jester) haven't given me yet.
I definitely feel like I should get all (or most) of my missing grades, either with or without any thing that are rather bad grades.

raymonds

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty English evaluation

Post  Rachel D Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 pm

*Describe, in as much detail as is possible, one memory that you have from this class over the course of the year.
→ I remember reading our first perfect page out loud to the class about our experience with reading. I found this very memorable and fascinating, I always love seeing the similarities and differences between my life and others. I think it helps you to define who you are by seeing who someone else is. Not necessarily basing yourself of them but if you are lost it can be like a sign pointing in the wright direction.

→ On average I learn more from righting. Having words at my fingertips whether on a computer or with a pencil, helps me think more deeply about what I wright about. While when I am reading I see the picture that the words play unfold and I can learn from the righting stile of the author and the experiences of the characters. Discussions bring to light the hard topics that sometimes you don’t always want to think about your you just miss them.

→ I’m not going to give you a letter of number grade just because I’m really bad at that, but I will say you need to get feed back to students sooner. I know everything crashes at the end of the year; I have personally felt it many times. Bit I also best learn from making mistakes and figuring out what I did wrong, why it is wrong, and how I can improve it. Plus I think you need to make it clear to your students that English class is like cross country, you get as much out of it as you put into it, and you just have to learn to enjoy the run. Once you do that everything becomes seems to become easier, but instead your becoming better.

→ I want to thank you for supporting my creative righting. All the confides I have about my righting wright now if fairly new, and unstable. I used to hate English class, I was a slow reader no one could even read what I had written and nether could I. It took me a wile to get my words onto paper; I would lay in bed trying to fall asleep, and wright stories in my head. But they had so many holes in them because I couldn’t keep it all in my head, it would just eventually fall away. It’s bin nice to actually have a teacher that encourages me to wright outside of school even though it’s not worth a grade, but just because I like to right.

→ Thank you for being my 9th grade English teacher. I hope you’ll still read my righting even when I’m not you student. Very Happy

Rachel D

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty Is it really over??

Post  Sophie N Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 am

The Class

I really appreciated the personal writing assignments. The gauntlets, and the essays about our first memory reading and such were all very effective. In terms of being able to express one’s self these were extremely helpful because it is one thing to be able to portray your opinion or facts in a persuasive Social Studies essay, and a whole other thing to actually talk about your personal experience. I think that we have had a lot more guidance in past years with writing a Social-Studies-style essay where you can’t use me or I, so I feel like I’m a lot better at portraying what I’m feeling or thinking effectively. Part of writing an effective personal essay is to make it personal and have voice and such, but to also make sure that the reader can understand the message you are trying to send. I think that the personal essays in this class have really helped me improve at writing these effectively.

YES. I know that discussions aren’t the entire point of English class, but I think that they are the soul of the English class. Whether or not you are the kind of person who speaks every chance you get, or like to sit back and take it all in, I personally think that everyone gets something out of the discussions. It is the part of English class where we get to learn the most about ourselves through the reading. Even when the more present point of the discussion is to understand the reading, through discussing the issues in the reading we learn our opinions, others’ opinions, and thus expand our knowledge. That sounds pretty cheesy, but I personally have explored my own thoughts through the discussions of the readings, and that is what I love about English class.
p.s. I like how you throw questions at us and don’t necessarily answer them, because then we can really think about it instead of being afraid of getting the answer wrong, especially since there might not be a right answer.

Definitely keep reading The Kite Runner, that’s a no-brainer, it was such a powerful book, it was really amazing. After that most of the other books were equally great. Ranking them from most well liked to least well liked, it would have to be: Persepolis, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Betsey Brown, A Separate Peace, and lastly, Into the Wild. I consider the plays to be in their own separate category, but they were both great. I loved the vast difference in all the books in terms of subject matter and style, which also makes it really hard to compare them, but I think they were all very meaningful and thought provoking.

I’ll answer this one because it is easier to answer than the previous one in the list. I found a lot of the books to be enjoyable, and even when I didn’t like the book, I felt like I got a lot out of it. For example, I really didn’t like A Separate Peace when we read it, but I ended up doing my final project about it. I think the least helpful readings were the short stories, because we didn’t discuss them enough, or there was not enough there for a really good discussion. Either way, they weren’t as thought provoking as any of the novels, plays, or even essays that we read. Maybe because I never felt like I fully understood them… I’m not sure, but when I think back to English, they don’t stick to my mind the way the other readings did.

This class is really laid back, so it is an easy class to be in, but the work is challenging. I think that it is just right. Coming in, I was certainly not used to reading so many books in one trimester, which made it challenging. In the past I’ve also had more nightly vocabulary assignments and such that were easy and fewer larger projects and essays. I think that the essays are more meaningful and make the class challenging as well. But the atmosphere in the classroom is so easy and open, which is wonderful.

The Teacher
A ~ You’re a really fun teacher to have, and you look like you really enjoy teaching the class, which makes it more enjoyable for us. You have a charismatic teaching style that would make it difficult not to get something out of this class.

I love how laid back and comfortable everything is! I don’t get to sit on the floor and spread my stuff out in any other class.
Like I said earlier, you do a good job with discussions – I like how you throw questions at us.
The freedom we have when picking topics for our essays and projects, although it is sometimes overwhelming, I find helpful because you get to choose what you want to explore and what you want to get out of it.

Nothing major ~ just that you don’t like to post scores on powerschool, so we are constantly in the dark when it comes to our grades in the class. Although you are easy to reach if we feel like we need to discuss our grades.

The Student
I think I deserve an A in this class ~ I think I've done some really good work in English this year. I think very hard in this class… which sounds obvious, but I really do feel like most of what I do is think really, really hard in this class. That might be where I go wrong, because it causes me to procrastinate, and sometimes not turn in the most polished work. But all the work I have turned in this year has been really well thought out, even if I messed up with carrying it out.

Please continue the creative writing group at lunch ~ that was really fun, and I already know some rising 9th graders who would be interested.
Thanks so much for a GREAT year in English class!

Sophie N

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty From "Anonymous"

Post  Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 pm

The Class
* Which writing assignments were the most effective and helpful to you? Explain:The writing assignment I learned from the most would have to be the Gauntlet. As incredibly horrible and stressful as it was, I felt it developed my writing skills in a way it wouldn't have been able to be developed any other way.

Yes. I especially felt this because you could see the opinions of other people that in a way, helped shape your own.

* Which readings (novels, essays, short stories, poems, etc.) did you enjoy the most and learn the most from? Do you recommend that I continue to use this (these) reading(s)? I loved Catcher in the Rye, Persepolis, The Kite Runner, Into The Wild, and a few others. You should definitely have these books in the future.

I thought the short stories were the least helpful/enjoyable books. Although interesting, I felt that I didn't have much of a connection with those.

I find that this class can be hard at times, and be more easy at times. For example, the time that we did the gauntlet made this class extremely difficult, but when we just had to read the books, it was easy.

The Teacher
I give you an A, I dont really know why besides the fact I really enjoyed learning from you and completing some of our projects.

Yeah, there are many things, but one of them is that he puts meaning behind the work, and assignments are more open-ended.

Yes, it drives me crazy that I can't know my grade from the trimester until a long time after I turn them in.
The Student
I would stick with an A because I really tried hard in this class.

It was awesome being in your class this year, and I will miss you being my teacher!

Admin
Admin

https://woodsenglish1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

English I End of Year Survey Empty Survey

Post  Calvin L Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Which assignment (reading, writing, discussion, etc.) did you learn the most from? Explain:
I learned the most from the final project we had this year. Quite a few things were learned with that project. First off, I learned a lot on the technical aspects of making a radio presentation and interviewing people. I also learned a lot about other people, both my peers and also the people I interviewed.

Which writing assignments were the least effective and helpful to you? Explain:
The writing assignment for me that was the least effective was the gauntlet recovery essay surprisingly. It just broke up to flow that we had going and it being a larger essay with not many rules just made it really confusing to do.

Which readings (novels, essays, short stories, poems, etc.) did you enjoy the most and learn the most from? Do you recommend that I continue to use this (these) reading(s)?
Some of the books that I hope you really do keep using in class are Into The Wild, Part Time Indian, Kite Runner, and Catcher In The Rye for Honors. These are the books I enjoyed the most and I feel that because of that I also got the most out of reading them.

Do you find this to be class difficult, easy, or just right? Comment:
This class is right at the correct difficulty level, it isn't incredibly easy but it isn't very very hard either which makes it a good class to have. The work load is decent but is spread out which is nice. The Honors option is also sufficiently more difficult than the rest of the English class for sure.

Was work graded fairly, accurately and in a way that was helpful to you, overall? Explain:
For the most part the work was graded very fairly and seemed to be graded against yourself instead of against your peers which is a good way to go. For the gauntlet though and the gauntlet recovery essay the grading seemed a bit weird compared to how it was the rest of the year before.

Give me a grade for teaching. Explain:
You have a 96 because you are really just the best English teacher I have ever had before, you make me actually enjoy the subject and want to participate in the discussions the way you go about things. The only reasons it isn't 100 is because sometimes the grading isn't always the clearest but that is negligible for the most part anyways.

Is there anything about Mr. Jester, his teaching style, personality, habits, etc. that you find particularly agreeable?
He has a good sense of humour and is able to talk to his students well about what we are doing in class. His whole teaching style is a bit hard to explain but it works for sure.

Is there anything about Mr. Jester that is particularly aggravating to you?
When he shows up late Q.Q

Considering your effort and performance over the course of the year, what grade would you give yourself for this course? Explain:
Probably about a 93?
I put a lot of work into everything I did but sometimes I started the things I did a bit late.

Is there anything else that you feel the need to say here?
This is one of the best classes I've ever had

You are my sunny
My only sunny
You make me Very Happy
When skies are elephant
Please don't take my sunny away

Calvin L

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down